Revolution RP
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mod Team

A message to the members

All, 
With an understanding of a lot of the feelings about Revo we as a core have heard a lot of the perceptions circulating. Information and discussion from streams, privately and in public channels of discords we have done a lot of listening. We want to take a moment to help clarify some things based on some of the common statements that are circulating. 

Revo hates crimes!

Revo loves its criminals, though at times it seems not because most people who get banned are criminals. We realize how that perception can develop. Unfortunately, sometimes the criminal behavior can lead to cutting the line on what's right and what's wrong. While sometimes we have to make hard decisions, the idea that we do not appreciate our criminals comes into play. This has never been true, we learn the most from our criminals, in retrospect they are not the only people who get in trouble either. 

Revo bans without saying anything.

We immediately will send information about what is going on the moment a ban or warning points is executed. The forums are our one source of truth. We are sad to hear that this is what people feel happens. While at times the process can seem abrupt, we do hear your point and that's not to say we cannot adapt to them in the future. And we ALWAYS encourage people to come talk to us about a ban, something to do differently and so on. How the message is delivered is what matters most. 

Development is mostly for cops

Some of the most complicated systems our Dev team has been working on is the criminal side. A lot of challenges come up with that because a lot of time goes into trying to figure out how to create balance with them, avoid abusable mechanics through glitching as well as cautious of ideas that could stimulate a surge of negativity with the population in game. That being said there is a lot on the way. 

Floppy just works on his own stuff. 

Those that work with Floppy directly know and understand that 90% of his time is dedicated to fixing, adapting, and improving the quality of the server in the background. The impact the health of the community has on Floppy has never been taken lightly by him. It is important to note that Revo/RMOG is a gaming community not just GTA and at times new ideas are played with as something possible to bring into the fold for both new adventures and possible outlets for players such as the latest creation of FiveM King of the Hill. 

Revo hates people who leave!

Never, while we want this to be a place you call home, we will also be supportive of whatever makes you happy. Revolution and its staff will always be prepared to hunker down and rebuild because many of us have a passion for the place and its goal to be a higher quality of RP.

Staff isn't fair!

Honestly, we try to be. Sometimes people become confused because 1 person gets away with something while the other doesn't. A lot of this comes down to what is reported, witnessed, and by who brings it up. There's a lot going on all the time and we can only see so much. Evidence, step by steps, conversation, the details make the difference. But that is also why we encourage conversation. 

Staff isn't approachable.

Many of us make ourselves available on a daily basis as much as we can. We become sad to hear that because there are a lot of people who we don't hear from who express that. We are willing to talk about anything in most cases. There are a few processes which we will direct to specific places, especially if that staff is in game. But for the most part many do not feel they are being approached. 

Revo promises things then does not deliver. 

Our Dev team and Floppy work almost every day to try to come up with ways to make things work, improve staff tools, improve backend performance. We as well as other communities are working with problematic changes that come from FiveM updates as well. At times promises have been made about things such as housing, business, whitelisting features. All of which are being daily discussed and looked into. There have been times the team felt they could pursue certain features but the level of reverse engineering required to pull back from all the custom code makes things fall apart. Revo has a unique code base that most do not know about and at times requires a lot of rework to fit in features that seem to come easy to other communities. There has also been a massive learning curve to the new Dev team who are round the clock trying to gain the skills to bring these features to the table. We know it’s been talked about for a while now, we are trying to come up with a solution. We try not to set up timelines because it can set expectations that we cannot predict. Failing an expectation is perceived worse than expressing the truth of trying to develop things long term. 

The CR Reps isn't being heard or working. 

Staff have been battling problematic issues with keeping a static leadership model around this. Either the members change, or the representation changes. Everything that is shared in their conversations is heard. We DO hear you. Sometimes things are actionable, sometimes not, or at least not yet. We are always open to new ideas and when something is actionable as well as feasible, we do our best to find a path forward.

Feel free to ask any questions, and we will answer what we can as best we can. Please keep things civil and constructive. This thread is not here to be trolled or negative against others. 

Thank you everyone, 
We do love you and look forward to more adventures. 

-TEAM

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

First, let's talk about making people want to play here.

Second, while I understand people make mistakes, the leadership of this community seems EXTREMELY quick to throw someone to the curb regardless of time spent and invested. Mind you these are my opinion, but I strongly stand behind them.

Justin Creed situation? Absurd. The guy WAS a member of the community for how many years? Again, he made a mistake, and years of time and dedication, gone.

Paco Garcia situation? Poorly handled and communication was nonexistent. I have proof of this. Sure what he did was wrong, but 3 days ban wrong? Without any communication?

Shredxt situation? FFS talk to the guy or give him a warning, or some sort of strike system. For all the work he put in, he gets full IP banned at every level for something done in good faith for RP reasons. All the good things he did development wise, gone because he made a MISTAKE.

Box truck being Fail RP announcement as the event is unfolding, when it has NEVER been against the rules (there simply isn't an alternative).

Staff have done a very good job recently in removing some of the toxic, and negative newer members of the community. Staff can definitely do better.

Next, lets talk about development choices when it comes to staff.

STOP RESTRICTING AND REMOVING

START GIVING MORE FREEDOM AND PUNISH ABUSE ACCORDINGLY

For the sake of this discussion, lets use Tazers as an example. An issue for the longest time, was thought to be IMPOSSIBLE to allow the public to have access to. Initially there was an influx of stupidity, but after a while it settled down and usage became normal for the most part, and to my knowledge there is not an abundance of complaints since their implementation.

Things that would make the server more fun:

• Aircraft being allowed to be used or associated with crime in a limited capacity (right now it's a server rule break to even hold a pilot up, or for a pilot to do crime in any capacity).
  • Universal vehicle "put in/take out".
    • Just do it, stop making these petty arguments of "EMS RP loss" or "Abundance of Fail RP".
  • Restrict weapons in some way, everyone having easy access to high power weaponry is nutty.

Things that will make the server great again, and IMO should have top priority:

• Housing
  • Businesses
  • Large Content Releases that can be accompanied by advertising for the community

The goal here isn't to point the smoking gun at the developers, the idea is to shed some light on how many of us feel based on things that have unfolded the last few months. If there is retaliation because I decided to speak my mind here, that's fine, I feel good about voicing my concerns.

I hear it all the time that development is significantly influenced by staff and in particular by the owner. @Floppy Pancakes It starts with you and trickles downward through the community. The moment I posted a fun idea and something possibly creative to do in RP that was taken from a clip on my stream I shared, it was met with "that's probably ban-worthy". Imagine on my end, where i'm trying to go out of my way to make fun and dynamic scenarios that can unfold, and subsequently I get a swift kick in the balls from the owner. Now all the sudden everything I am thinking of doing that is new and unique is followed by "well, am I going to get banned for this too?"

Sucks. Please focus your energy on making this a FUN place to RP, where abusers of the (hopefully) new and fun restrictions are punished accordingly and made an example of.

Lastly i'm going to state that overall I feel that the vast majority of choices, and the amount of effort that is invested have been both good and appreciated. Some of these recent things have really taken the wind out of the sails so to say for people. Don't take the negative tone of this post to heart. There is a lot of good things happening and that have happened, but lately it's been a very bumpy ride.

- Mike

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

So I'll be happy to answer some of these concerns, but I will say, I may jump around a bit, so stay with me. Keep in mind, I'm not going to go into a lot of detail of everything, because I still believe, and prefer, not to publicly smear someones name, even when they are guilty, be it on the forums, ts, discord, etc.. 🙂

13 hours ago, Mike Michaelson said:

Justin Creed situation? Absurd. The guy WAS a member of the community for how many years? Again, he made a mistake, and years of time and dedication, gone.

It wasn't a mistake. It was purposeful, willful, and by all appearances, planned. He did this while on his cop character. LEO corruption is not allowed, and as such, he received a 2 week ban, and a LEO ban. For a long time, staff had issues with being consistent with punishments, and that's our fault. We are trying to do better, and I believe in recent months, we have. This was long before we were doing better though, and even then, I was really pushing people staff to be consistent, regardless of who it was. So he got the same treatment as recent LEO corruption bans.

Paco Garcia situation? Poorly handled and communication was nonexistent. I have proof of this. Sure what he did was wrong, but 3 days ban wrong? Without any communication?

While I'm sure there is room for improvement, I do not believe the situation was poorly handled. I even spoke to someone recently who had the same opinion, and then when i explained what happened, they think we did everything right. When Paco was banned, he was banned from the game, and notified on the forums by the admin/mod team, and notified on TS by the admin team. Due to the fact that our admin team ranks had recently emptied, I was unaware that it was normally admin task to notify the player, and as such, that responsibility fell on me to notify him on TS, and I failed in that manner. However, he was notified on the forums. The next time he joined the forum, he had a notification bar at the bottom, and a icon on the bell at the top. Just like everyone else. I'm not sure what you mean by proof of this, but, I can assure you, this did happen. And it was only 3 days, not a perma like so many people seemed to think for some reason.

Shredxt situation? FFS talk to the guy or give him a warning, or some sort of strike system. For all the work he put in, he gets full IP banned at every level for something done in good faith for RP reasons. All the good things he did development wise, gone because he made a MISTAKE.

Again, not a mistake. He willfully, and knowingly abused his access as a Developer, to manipulate the database to give his friends an advantage. A favor for them, if you will, and while I completely understand his perspective from an RP side, it is still abuse of power, and powergaming to an extent. We had SOOO many complaints about this, including people being suspicious that he was being nefarious with the character, and going beyond what was originally agreed upon with myself. I get no enjoyment having to ban a staff member, or even remove them, especially someone was valuable, knowledgeable, and helpful as Shredxt. 

Box truck being Fail RP announcement as the event is unfolding, when it has NEVER been against the rules (there simply isn't an alternative).

It was never in the rules, but it was agreed upon in staff that it was FailRP, and we had banned people before when we saw it. Just many people don't bother with a report, cause they think nothing will happen. I agree, the FailRP announcement during the event was kinda, immersion breaking. No one asked for the announcement, a staff member just did it. I even spoke up in our staff channels asking why it was done. Granted, that announcement was a warning to stop doing it, or they will be banned, instead of just straight banning them, which I *DO* think, was more than generous.

14 hours ago, Mike Michaelson said:

Staff have done a very good job recently in removing some of the toxic, and negative newer members of the community. Staff can definitely do better.

While I do think we can always improve, I also think many people hold staff to impossible standards. We are expected to enforce the rules. But you also want us to give leniency on people who have been here a while, or that they like. And if we were to do that, we'd get accused of favoritism, something we used to get accused of a LOT until we got better at consistency. Staff will continue to fail the communities expectations, so long as we are being held to a double standard. We are happy to learn, grow, and adjust, but all of that is useless if we are being held to that aforementioned impossible standard.

For the sake of this discussion, lets use Tazers as an example. An issue for the longest time, was thought to be IMPOSSIBLE to allow the public to have access to. Initially there was an influx of stupidity, but after a while it settled down and usage became normal for the most part, and to my knowledge there is not an abundance of complaints since their implementation.

I still think it's completely and utterly stupid to have them in for anyone other than LEO. I can tell you for sure, that it abused all the time. Criminals LOVE to abuse a mechanic that involves tazers, that I have not yet been able to figure out if I can even prevent code wise. It happens nearly every week, either to myself, or others. And this is another area we will be enforcing FailRP in if we see abused. Generally, if a mechanic or action isn't somewhat realistic, then don't consider it something you should be doing in game, without consulting staff first.

Aircraft being allowed to be used or associated with crime in a limited capacity (right now it's a server rule break to even hold a pilot up, or for a pilot to do crime in any capacity).

I agree. In fact, iirc, the last two times this has been brought to me in staff, I said something along the lines of, "lets get something fleshed out on paper and discuss it" but I believe higher priority projects simply elevated above this.

Universal vehicle "put in/take out".

• Just do it, stop making these petty arguments of "EMS RP loss" or "Abundance of Fail RP".

They aren't petty. Why do you think they are petty? In fact, any time we've added a feature that I was not a fan of, we saw a lot of FailRP with. Recently, a lot of players have went to other servers, and I've seen on their streams, the same mechanics you ask for, and it's being abused. Like picking someone up on your shoulder, and the person demanding they be put down, helpless. That being said, we are going to add something like this, but it's one of those things that *I* will probably end up doing, so it'll take a while after I finish my current big projects. I'll also likely implement the original suggestion (which, ironically, I've never seen mentioned), where the feature is only available when no ems or pd are clocked in.

Restrict weapons in some way, everyone having easy access to high power weaponry is nutty.

I agree. This is already being done. I've said it several times, I want class 3's to be so incredibly rare, that PD will likey need to return to the departments to get their own. I will say though, that telling me here to restrict something, when you made it VERY clear you want me/devs to stop restricting/removing things. Really feels like a damned if I do, damned if I don't situation, someone is gonna be unhappy regardless.

• Housing
  • Businesses
  • Large Content Releases that can be accompanied by advertising for the community

I don't normally do this, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm extremely tired of people saying I don't get things done. I need breaks too, and I'll take them for months long, or just work on a weekend project. Like KOTH, I worked on that for like, 2.5 days, not actual coding time even, and people are already losing their mind, thinking I'm giving up the community, and I should just hand it to other people, because I don't care. Ironically, everyone had REALLY good things to say. I work on different projects all the time, to keep me fresh, try new things, and to prevent burnout, which has happened several times. I even used to freelance work to make extra money. So honestly, these rumors need to stop. Sorry for the mini rant. Any way, I don't normally do this, but: f527c17165d43bed84c978d046ad583e.png
https://gyazo.com/f527c17165d43bed84c978d046ad583e
ALL of that has in one way, or another to do with businesses. I can assure you, I'm hard at work on it, but I am trying to make ALL current and future development much higher quality than you've seen in the past. I work typically on BIG projects, and BIG projects, take a LOT of time sometimes. This is one of them. Myself, and the rest of the development team, would greatly appreciate if people were more understanding of just how much work goes into this. The main business file, is already 400 lines for one file alone. The mechanic job i'm working on? Almost 1000.

I hear it all the time that development is significantly influenced by staff and in particular by the owner. @Floppy Pancakes It starts with you and trickles downward through the community.

I don't see the problem here. The reason it's significantly influenced by anyone, myself included, is cause we are in staff. For the longest time, and I'm talking years, I had written the vast majority of the code base by hand. Neat features that were publicly released were also incorporated here or there, but for the most part, it was all my work. If someone wants to help influence what work is being done, they need to apply for a developer position that would put them where they need to be, to influence these decisions. I will always make a decision that someone doesn't agree with, that's just the nature of being in a leadership position, I can't please everyone. But by an large, if someone makes a suggestion, and we accept it, we fully plan on implementing it.

The moment I posted a fun idea and something possibly creative to do in RP that was taken from a clip on my stream I shared, it was met with "that's probably ban-worthy". Imagine on my end, where i'm trying to go out of my way to make fun and dynamic scenarios that can unfold, and subsequently I get a swift kick in the balls from the owner. Now all the sudden everything I am thinking of doing that is new and unique is followed by "well, am I going to get banned for this too?"

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but you are more than welcome to refresh my memory here, or in a message on here. I will say though, did you get banned? Very rarely do I ban anyone when I'm watching a stream or in game. It's incredibly rare, because I know many will think I'm abusing my position. I will simply report it to other staff, and let them be the judge.

Sucks. Please focus your energy on making this a FUN place to RP, where abusers of the (hopefully) new and fun restrictions are punished accordingly and made an example of.

I don't mean this sarcastically, or to be rude, but... what on earth do you think I'm doing? lol. Why would I try and make a place that even I don't find fun?

If there is retaliation because I decided to speak my mind here, that's fine, I feel good about voicing my concerns.

Why on earth would there be any sort of retaliation? One, we made this post in efforts to improve things around the community. Someone took great time and effort to make this. Two, we have NEVER banned someone who was trying to bring up issues in a polite manner. That would be absolutely absurd for anyone to do, regardless of whether or not you agree. If that were the case, there'd probably just be a dozen people here. There are MANY communities who will ban you for disagreeing, or politely pointing out issues. I've been banned from them too. I am definitely not one of the people who will do that here, nor will I ever tolerate it here either.

Feel free to reply. I know my response was very long winded, and while we are going to have a community meeting very soon, I felt I should respond to your concerns. If you'd like to talk on ts as well, that's fine too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

Floppy literally took the words right out of my mouth. I know his ass works hard and he has other projects just like everyone else. People really need to start asking questions more, rather than assuming and going by what other people say. Go directly to people and you'll find more people will be giving you the answers you seek. 

I'm going to be 100% honest, I really don't think a ban or LEO ban should have been done to Creed. He did everyone a favor and did something to a player who was harassing people OOC and it was mostly to LEO. He was a creeper. Not only that, but at least a story came out of it too - an interesting one.

I knew about Ted's exploits before I even became staff btw. Quite honestly, that was never done in good faith for RP reasons. It was done to help others cheat and was done after he quit being a Dev. Even before I was staff, I knew that just because you're a long time member or staff member doesn't mean you shouldn't be held accountable for any rule breaks period. I do not know how anyone can agree that just because you gave your time and effort to the community, it means you're allowed to do what Ted did or break a rule like RDM etc. and staff should just turn a blind eye.

Players have been banned for cheating for years. Staff should get banned for the same things as well if caught doing so. And so should long time players who do it and are apart of it. 

I have had a love hate relationship with this community for years and I will say that there are times where I blamed staff for some of the things that were happening because it was just easier to do so. When I took a break and came back, I realized that EVERYONE is held accountable for the decline in RP of Revo. Just not one or two staff members or players.

It feels like people have lost touch of what roleplay actually is. The people who have greater influence and have potential to make this community a better environment choose not to because they are too busy pointing fingers when they don't realize it also starts with them. It's so disappointing because great things can happen if we all just stopped blaming each other for things and start being more proactive.

We spend more time ruleplaying than actually roleplaying. Some people borderline break rules with no RP reason for doing so. There is never any build ups anymore and I see a lot of shootouts that leave people thinking "wtf just happened" and completely confused. 

This also shows how little the community actually knows because Staff tries to keep things on the low key between the banned person and staff themselves so that the banned person doesn't get their name tarnished for doing something shitty. And because of that, staff gets screwed over for it, lets be real here.

Edited by Holland Stiles

I'm just gonna say with the current state of the server population some things need to change. I would just like to see more transparency with the community thats all. A lot of us have been here for years and I feel like when people state their opinions and ideas to better the server it gets shot down real quick even if the majority of people may agree with it. 

• Like 6

Ive mentioned the idea before: a Trello, or something like it, would mitigate a lot of the development sides of the arguments here. It wouldnt open any code to public, just a timeline layout of: "Hey this is what we've done, this is what we're working on, these are the obstacles we're facing, and this is what is planned for the future (near and far)" This would mitigate a lot of what the players would think is stagnation on development when its very clearly the opposite.

I was a HUGE fan of the skills script that was trying to be implemented. I would love to invest the time on Zach, grinding out PT, to make him a better cop in a foot chase. Being able to track the progress on something like that would be exciting for me. When the script was being live-tweaked on the server, a group of us players actually went running. There was RP, music, and a good time all around from just that one little feature. Us being able to keep tabs on things like that and their implementation status (not necessarily HOW they work, but that they ARE working)

It's early for me, and my coffee hasnt 100% kicked in, this wasnt meant to be an offending post so if it has that vibe, thats 100% not the intent.

14 hours ago, Mod Team said:

Revo hates crimes!

Revo loves its criminals, though at times it seems not because most people who get banned are criminals. We realize how that perception can develop. Unfortunately, sometimes the criminal behavior can lead to cutting the line on what's right and what's wrong. While sometimes we have to make hard decisions, the idea that we do not appreciate our criminals comes into play. This has never been true, we learn the most from our criminals, in retrospect they are not the only people who get in trouble either. 

I don't see crims or criminal behavior as an issue, but more of how it is done is the problem. There are issues that I see with criminal behavior, but also with the police side of things as well even with myself. I have ran into a few situations lately that I feel bend or break the server rules when interacting with criminals, but I don't see the same for the LEO side because we are held to a higher standard of RP and also we can be removed or banned from the server for corruption. I feel as LEO we go into the server with this mindset as our officers that our actions have consequences in and out of character and that we try to do our jobs and set an example. I don't always see that from the criminal side, and feel there is a general lack of concern of how they are interacting with others may come across as.

When I first became interested in the LEO side of things a few years ago the core aspects that we were taught were to charge people with what we know, even if you don't like them to be respectful, and that we are here to set an example. Chances are you may be the very first person that they interact with at length and how that situation goes sets that example of future interactions. I don't think the same can be said for criminals because I don't feel there is a standard of RP to be expected and that is where the issues come into play. There are gangs that have been around for sometime and still jump to gunplay vs RP just like someone new to the server might. That is why I feel we see a lot more gunplay vs RP or lack of RP in general at times. I understand it "might be part of your character" but we are all here to RP and create a fun environment for others. Maybe saying a few words and shooting someone over something trivial isn't appropriate behavior and results in a ban... well, that's on you. Maybe that interaction could have led to a lot more. I always feel every interaction could have an infinite amount of possibilities, but the moment you pull the trigger you are forcing it into a much narrower avenue for others to approach from. It isn't uncommon to arrive on a scene as an officer and hear how someone was shot down by someone who said next to nothing to them. I think we have all been there and felt that way... why carry that over and do it to someone else? Maybe keep that in mind the next time you pull a gun and decide to pull the trigger that you are putting that person in the same position you've been in before. 

We immediately will send information about what is going on the moment a ban or warning points is executed. The forums are our one source of truth. We are sad to hear that this is what people feel happens. While at times the process can seem abrupt, we do hear your point and that's not to say we cannot adapt to them in the future. And we ALWAYS encourage people to come talk to us about a ban, something to do differently and so on. How the message is delivered is what matters most. 

I feel at times that it might seem that way and honestly there should be more transparency when it happens. I feel at times some people are hit harder and faster than others, but you've also gotta take into account of how long something is sitting there for. Someone might be banned faster because it was witnessed by staff directly vs having to post on the forums, waiting for that person to respond, sorting things out, etc etc. 

Development is mostly for cops

Some of the most complicated systems our Dev team has been working on is the criminal side. A lot of challenges come up with that because a lot of time goes into trying to figure out how to create balance with them, avoid abusable mechanics through glitching as well as cautious of ideas that could stimulate a surge of negativity with the population in game. That being said there is a lot on the way. 

What? I've been part of the LEO side for awhile and things haven't changed that much for us lol. It may seem like we have a big box of tools that we can use, but a lot of that is dependent on how well we are working together. Criminals have a lot more benefits than we do! 

1.) Reasonable doubt - That is something the development team didn't even work on that we deal with on a daily basis as LEO. The I know vs I think of what happened for a situation.

2.) Vehicles - Our vehicles aren't nearly as good as civilian/criminals! I can't count the number of times I am hoping someone crashes out because we aren't able to keep up with them. It has nothing to do with winning, but take in mind that you can go pull out any vehicle you want knowing that you cheese around with to outrun police and we can only pull out certain vehicles that we are allowed to.

IMO this is fail RP to throw someone in the back of a box truck and take them to the hospital. I feel like this may be a creative way of overcoming a limitation but how many times has someone performed any medical on them before they are put in the back of the boxtruck? Did you check their injuries? Are they breathing? Is there a pulse? Did you attempt to put any bandages on them before putting them in the back? Was there any attempt to stabilize them before moving them to the vehicle? Was there any attempt to stabilize them during transportation? I know for myself and others we are volunteering our time during odd hours when we see people small numbers in the server to clock in to help provide means for medical treatment because everyone has been there where your friend is downed and there's no one clocked in to help. Am I faulting ourselves for not being there to help? No. Am I faulting others for doing this because there isn't a simpler solution? No. 

Things that would make the server more fun:

• Aircraft being allowed to be used or associated with crime in a limited capacity (right now it's a server rule break to even hold a pilot up, or for a pilot to do crime in any capacity).
  • Universal vehicle "put in/take out".
  • Restrict weapons in some way, everyone having easy access to high power weaponry is nutty.

• Housing
  • Businesses

I feel there could be more transparency with the development team of seeing appetizers of what is being worked on. It does feel at times that there may not be anything being worked on and we only see it on release day, but it would be interesting to see what is on the way and what is in the works. I know they put time and effort into development otherwise we wouldn't be seeing changes to the server, but they also have lives outside of this community. I think people suggest an idea and expect something to be done because it seems easy right? Well, we have people who are learning and trying to do their best when other communities have people who have been coding for years or paying people to help develop for the server.

I can easily see a developer's hesitation of putting something into the server that might be abused or could easily be abused. Look when tuner laptops were put into the server of how people were abusing them when they first came out of how fast they were going! Do you think someone wants to risk seeing their time and effort abused by someone? Honestly, if we want more features then make the server white listed because I don't think everyone can behave themselves. 

Let's take housing for an example. I don't know the details, but I am guessing they have to figure out a way to code houses being purchasable and have a record of it which means there has to be a database that tracks all of the information for getting a house, then storage for those houses. A house storage isn't going to be like a regular storage facility. Honestly, I think storage in a house should be accessible to anyone who gets inside of it but the house is locked and unable to get into by anyone but the owner or anyone who has keys to it and the police would be able to breach in and search it if they have a warrant. None of that sounds easy does it? I know there are scripts out there with housing already, but they use scripts that are dependent on their own core coding. All of it takes time to do, and may not be as fast as people want it to be.

I haven't been in the community for the longest, probably for just around a month and joined because a couple friends got me into roleplaying again. After hopping across a few servers, I have noticed how under developed the server really is, (not to slate or say that you aren't doing good work) Alot of the core things people desire from these servers are freedom to do actual physical things and have NEW. I saw in a post that the custom cars were all taking out to increase server stability with the 64 player change, not once in my month of being here have I seen it tick past 53 players. 

There are so many features that other places offer, with the opportunity to get into that quickly and easily and with the current state of the roleplay I have experienced on the server its always going to gradually decline, if people aren't enjoying the roleplay anymore and then they ain't really got much besides a few cars cause the housing system and all sorts haven't been implemented, theirs nothing really keeping them here, since I've joined the server I've made a few friends not too many mainly cause I chose to play a particularly weird character (sorry to anyone that i've come across that way) haha. But everything that happens on the server (bad) usually gets taken out of context, and taken out of roleplay. Not to say names, but ooc i told my "gang" that I was going to be hopping some servers, just for change and to see how stuff is, and that I would still be around on Rev just waiting for general population to come back (considering it dont get busy until later EU times, meaning i would have to stay up till 3am to have any fun, where as during the day there would be 3 people on the server just grinding) and immediately got kicked from the gang even though in roleplay technically nothing happened. (not to throw shade); but anyway thats what i mean, the level of roleplay generally isn't super fantastic (myself included) nor is there really many people around to create a story with since most people already have that "group" and don't confide or go around town to create stories, most places have just been cliques i.e the people at bennies or the people who sit out legion, the gangs, rarely does there have any cross-play interaction with anyone without it having to be about some kind of gang related drama, instead of just creating stories and making friends with people. I also applied for the police on a seperate character, and theres almost 0 communication but if you look it says if you bother command or w/e about it they can kick you, like I'm just trying to have fun and roleplay and give the criminals during the day something to do or have risk involved with. 

I feel that although I'm sure the developers are hard at work and of course appreciate your time in what you're doing, there has to be levels of communication. We need to see common changes making it fun not only for cops but civs aswell since alot of the suggestions are just a way to better the cops recently. Cops is just a huge powerplay right now, don't think its fair to civs in any situation, especially when people pull you over with any excuse to strip search and all that or no leniency in roleplay to the fines or jail time, no matter how good/bad the roleplay is. The thing that is more irritating is that there is no way to do certain mechanics which is frequently used on roleplay servers such as restraints, robbing, transferring money, there are so many things I can think off but are being held back. If you look at my most recent suggestion I had made, it got denied because there are zipties ingame but broken, but the other half of it wasn't even replied to from last May or something from the post someone else had linked probably cause they know people will abuse it. People will abuse anything, that is the problem, but that shouldn't stop developers from doing what would genuinely make the server better for everyone instead of the abusers. People abuse = Ban, Especially like mentioned somewhere above about the carry system, if people are abusing it and the victim clearly not enjoying it or the level of roleplay from it, then take action. I think people take the rules too seriously, if the person is enjoying the interaction in roleplay whether its abuse or not, then what is the real problem? It's just very situational. I see a bunch of stuff about the corruption in the police too and I mean if the corruption is levelled with fun roleplay and not just giving guns and stuff to civs etc then why not? I.e doing something bad to someone your character is in a close Roleplay scenario with, like kidnapping them or w/e. Idk what these people are doing to be corrupt cause I don't pay attention to those things but Roleplay over Ruleplay any day. As long as its reasonable.

What I recommend: 

Make the discord better; Over surfing through some places I see the most common point of interest around talking about anything is in discord. 

- A development category, Annoucement, Patch Notes, Teasers (Will help the community see whats going on) 

- Automated ticket systems

- In character categorys, OOC categorys. 

-the incharacter stuff on other servers have twitter and instagram linked to the discord and can upload pictures ingame or tweet and it shows up in the discord which would be lit.

More advertising of the servers, problem is theres barely an influx of new players and the server is just getting more and more quiet every day. 

Make polls, or a suggestion on discord to allow people to post what people may want. 

Discord is far more accessible to any living person then actively disputing things or being on the forums. (cheaper too if you're with a host). I rarely check the forums myself unless i got something to suggest or someone mentions it to me. 

Make it so when you make a character, you have to include your discord name or something similar so if people are breaking rules you can create a player report ticket or something and mention said user and talk it out privately instead of on posts. 

Listen to what the general population want, of course theirs exceptions but its hard to include everything that people want but some stuff you can clearly see everyone loves unless its a disadvantage to a faction. 

I'd suggest using more public assets of mods or different mechanics rather than all down to your own code, as much as it'd be cool to say you did everything and stuff, I think that server needs NEW to keep people busy. 

And most importantly to everyone, to have some fun, chill out, relax. It's a game, playing another character just enjoy yourself and give others around you a good time, thats what it's all about.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Floppy Pancakes said:

My suggestion based on Floppy's response. Get together with people in the flight program to write up a proposal and submit it to staff. If staff has not come up with something already, then perhaps you can help get them started.

16 hours ago, Mike Michaelson said:

Universal vehicle "put in/take out".

Already a thing. I put out the patch notes for everyone so they know when something they've been wanting has finally become a thing. However, I don't appreciate when people read the patch notes and use that information immediately in game, without learning it organically. Sure, some things are "common sense" and "we should have always been able to do this" however, there's a huge difference between utilizing a feature immediately, and waiting until the RP situation calls for it. 

For example, say we put a new interior in Paleto hospital. Instead of making a beeline up there to look at it, wait until the RP takes you to the area, whether by chance or because you end up needing a hospital trip and you're closest to Paleto. Just because you are aware of a feature/mechanic being implemented, doesn't mean you need to use the knowledge of it ASAP. Let your discovery come organically.

Restrict weapons in some way, everyone having easy access to high power weaponry is nutty.

As Floppy said, already being done, and still ongoing. Instead of squeezing the server dry of high powered weapons, we're doing this slowly. Anytime we make a change to a feature that changes the balance, half of the community will say "that was completely unnecessary, they would do this" and the other half will say "it's about god damn time." We'll never please everyone with the decisions we make, but we're doing our best to make decisions based on the suggestions that are put out on the forums.

I hear it all the time that development is significantly influenced by staff and in particular by the owner. @Floppy Pancakes It starts with you and trickles downward through the community.

Development is influenced by the community. The staff and owner, along with devs all discuss what the community is saying and doing, both on the forums, in voice channels, and in server. The decisions that are made take into account all of those factors. If the owner decides he wants to do something that other's aren't on board with, that's his right, however, the majority of the time, everyone discusses it and we make a collective decision and sometimes we just have to agree to disagree. Sometimes what the community says they want differ from the actions.

For example, I told the community that we intended on bringing housing back this year as the first major project. However, after a month or so of trying to make that happen, we saw that everyone was kicking up the leasing/ownership of businesses (Benny's, VU, etc). That IG shift and how the RP was unfolding, influenced us to push housing aside and put business mechanics first. Yes, I'm sure everyone would be happy with being able to own businesses through the forums in the mean time, but the decision was made to focus our heart and soul on the mechanics of it and release something massive and complete. The actions of the community influenced that shift, not staff.

We're doing our best to find people who abuse mechanics or break the rules, but we can only do and see so much. I've said this before and was met with a bit of sarcasm, but it's not that simple to find the abusers and remove them. We're constantly told "PD is abusing x" "crims are abusing y." It's at least something to know that we need to keep an eye out, but we can't punish anyone with that kind of information. Proof is also another issue, without proof, it's hard for them to take action. I'm not speaking for them on that matter, just stating that if things don't turn out the way you want, most of the time it's due to lack of proof. Don't be afraid to ask them why.

• Who (name/charid)
  • What (what feature/what did they do)
  • Where (where did you see this, in server or through a stream?) -- That is critical information for staff
  • When (time/date)
  • Proof (video is best. Send them anything and everything you have to support your claim)

Those are the things staff needs to know in order to even attempt to investigate or take any action.

Does this mean that we're not gonna give you guys a feature you want? No. Everything is subject to discussion and we will always remind the community that it's your duty to report anyone who breaks the rules or abuses a mechanic/feature. Help catch those who are ruining that feature for everyone so we can keep it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Why dont we just all agree to disagree and close this thread before it gets sour 🧤 Instead why not announce a community meeting where we can talk about whats being done and what need to be improved for us all! 

At the end of the day we are all in this together and want to make this a better experience for everyone.

• Like 1

It seems people keep getting the wrong information about how things are handled around here... I don't know if you guys are noticing how often heating discussions / attacks  are happening. It seems to be happening at least once a month, and it always inverts to people feeling like they can't say something or just not being heard. Ever since January you can notice the difference of the community specially since on forums since the idea of "community reps" being introduced. We really haven't had a real community meeting or discussion on what's happening behind the scenes from departs / staff (developers as well). I personally know their's a lot of projects going around but others don't know or hear about it... which is very misleading. 

Solutions that might help is bring back monthly community meetings or make a post about what's being talked about! Allow a google doc that allows people to ask questions directed towards either the departments/staff/or anyone and allowing them to be completely anonymous.

Anyways I love you guys, Stay float of water and groovy ^-^

❤️

Edited by Rex Hughes
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Zach Greene said:

Ive mentioned the idea before: a Trello, or something like it, would mitigate a lot of the development sides of the arguments here. It wouldnt open any code to public, just a timeline layout of: "Hey this is what we've done, this is what we're working on, these are the obstacles we're facing, and this is what is planned for the future (near and far)" This would mitigate a lot of what the players would think is stagnation on development when its very clearly the opposite.

We do have a trello, but we rely on the forums for public information. Anything that's suggested gets looked at every single day, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day on the same suggestion over and over. If there isn't a comment, there hasn't been a discussion or reason to comment. If it's on hold, it's typically because its low priority, or we're still trying to figure out the coding to make it a thing. Many times, I've released sneak peeks of things that I think people will enjoy, but if it's not something related to housing, businesses, putting people in cars or any of the other hot topics, people usually scoff at the post. It was our way of saying, hey, we've got some neat stuff. A lot of those fun features are things we worked on while taking a break from the big projects. As floppy stated, his mechanic and business code is extensive, sometimes you just gotta stop and do something else. Maybe inspiration for something else will hit and it's a very simple thing. The 1 or 2 day break working on the other fun thing, can be a welcome break from the really hard stuff.

I'll discuss maybe having a public view trello, but for now, we're still gonna do our best to relay info and so dev updates through the forums.

20 minutes ago, Seanie Love said:

I saw in a post that the custom cars were all taking out to increase server stability with the 64 player change, not once in my month of being here have I seen it tick past 53 players. 

Without removing those cars, we were not able to get past 50 players. We did have over 55 one day when we increased it in the middle of RP randomly (we did announce it too). Suddenly after the 55th person joined, we had a MASSIVE influx of reports from people in game saying their textures were popping in and out, they couldn't see the floor, etc. That's when we knew, if we wanted to have the capability of 64, the cars had to go. Yes, population is low now, but for the time when we were up there, we had record stability after the import cars were removed.

25 minutes ago, Seanie Love said:

I also applied for the police on a seperate character, and theres almost 0 communication but if you look it says if you bother command or w/e about it they can kick you

You're in the discord, any questions you have can be asked there. If we haven't communicated anything new in the channel, it's because there isn't anything new to communicate. Even though a lot of people are at home because of this COVID-19 debacle, many are playing other games or just doing family things. Don't be afraid to ask questions in the discord.

28 minutes ago, Seanie Love said:

We need to see common changes making it fun not only for cops but civs aswell since alot of the suggestions are just a way to better the cops recently.

• LEO got new cars (handling is being tweaked constantly but they are not up to par with civilian cars by any means)
  • LEO can see into you bag and drag and drop things

That's all LEO got recently.

The community got:

• Black market changing over to be dual currency (which included a new tool)
  • Food delivery service job
  • A lot of new interiors
  • Putting people in cars
  • General bug fixes (both ones we created after an update and old ones that just took us a while)
  • Many other optimizations that benefited the whole server, not just one group of people.

Most of the suggestions that are outstanding right now are criminal, civilian, or quality of life related. I see one suggestion that would benefit only cops, and it wasn't even suggested by a cop. Even the accepted/completed suggestions are majorly civilian/criminal focused. I'm sorry that you feel like LEO are overpowered, but this is sadly not the case.

36 minutes ago, Seanie Love said:

Cops is just a huge powerplay right now, don't think its fair to civs in any situation, especially when people pull you over with any excuse to strip search and all that or no leniency in roleplay to the fines or jail time, no matter how good/bad the roleplay is.

Cops cannot search you for no reason. The Code of Law, available >>HERE<< outlines what can and cannot be done. This is in game information and if you have been searched unfairly, or believe you have been, you can take RP steps to file a complaint and get it resolved. Cops are taught to give time and fines off, so I'm not sure what you've experienced, but MOST cops I know are always giving time off, even when someone just shot their co-worker. 

39 minutes ago, Seanie Love said:

The thing that is more irritating is that there is no way to do certain mechanics which is frequently used on roleplay servers such as restraints, robbing, transferring money, there are so many things I can think off but are being held back.

Many of these features DO exist, perhaps you haven't found out how to do them? Yes, zip ties are broken, but after your suggestion I put it at the top of my bug fix list. I've actually made a really big deal about testing it the last 2 nights, even up to 5am one night. I'm just stumped at this time on solving that issue. You can rob people AND stores, you can transfer money to players (yes, you gotta be standing next to them), but soon we'd like to roll out a digital currency where you can transfer to people through your phone. Which, yes, we're also trying to re-vamp. We do NOT use ESX, so we cannot just drag and drop like every other server. Converting to ESX is out of the question, mostly because it's not even a better coding system, it's just easy.

43 minutes ago, Seanie Love said:

I see a bunch of stuff about the corruption in the police too and I mean if the corruption is levelled with fun roleplay and not just giving guns and stuff to civs etc then why not? I.e doing something bad to someone your character is in a close Roleplay scenario with, like kidnapping them or w/e. Idk what these people are doing to be corrupt cause I don't pay attention to those things but Roleplay over Ruleplay any day. As long as its reasonable.

That is a topic for staff. We historically have struggled with numbers in LEO. What we need is good, clean cops at this time. Having corruption is fun, yes, but if everyone wants to be corrupt because it's fun, then we'll just get ourselves into trouble with the community because our guidelines are strict on what is and isn't punishable. 

45 minutes ago, Seanie Love said:

A development category, Annoucement, Patch Notes, Teasers (Will help the community see whats going on) 

Are you talking about on discord? Because we have a fully active development section on the forums. It even has all of the patch notes and blogs about development (with a roadmap that is ever changing). If the forums aren't enough, we can see about mirroring that on discord too.

49 minutes ago, Seanie Love said:

Listen to what the general population want, of course theirs exceptions but its hard to include everything that people want but some stuff you can clearly see everyone loves unless its a disadvantage to a faction. 

We do. I know to everyone it doesn't seem like it, but we do listen. We've been bit in the ass before by just giving and giving, so now we're trying to give properly so the things we do implement don't ruin RP or any one group or groups. There's always multiple sides to making a decision on suggestions. What seems easy to many (just do it, what can go wrong?), we can tell you exactly what can go wrong, how, and sometimes even why. Past experiences do shape our thoughts, but we still listen to people when they constructively and respectfully counter our arguments with fact and truth.

52 minutes ago, Seanie Love said:

I'd suggest using more public assets of mods or different mechanics rather than all down to your own code, as much as it'd be cool to say you did everything and stuff, I think that server needs NEW to keep people busy. 

As I stated a little higher up in this, not possible. We'd have to re-do the ENTIRE server and shut down for a long time. There was a suggestion to do a "revo restart," wipe the code, start over. It's just not something we're willing to do in order to be able to use the poorly made pre-made stuff out there. ESX is widely available, but it's not great code at all. It's not something that's worth giving up 3+ years for. Things that aren't ESX based though, we do try to use. Some of them take minimal conversion effort, others take an extreme amount, but they still save us time, so we don't let that go to waste.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jasmine Kali said:

As I stated a little higher up in this, not possible. We'd have to re-do the ENTIRE server and shut down for a long time. There was a suggestion to do a "revo restart," wipe the code, start over. It's just not something we're willing to do in order to be able to use the poorly made pre-made stuff out there. ESX is widely available, but it's not great code at all. It's not something that's worth giving up 3+ years for. Things that aren't ESX based though, we do try to use. Some of them take minimal conversion effort, others take an extreme amount, but they still save us time, so we don't let that go to waste.

I realize I left out 1 thing. ESX code IS possible, but there is a conversion process to go through before it can be used in our sever. The skills and knowledge to do that are limited, but we're working hard to learn it and be able to do it so that we can have the more fancy things that ESX provides. 

However, most of the time it's simply quicker to write our own. 

So what I am gathering from the responses on this is a few consistencies. 

• Members want a bit more visibility on things in the background of where things are going. 
    • We are and will look at how to improve this. We hear you. 
  • Members would like a more engaged process when it comes to communicating bans and warnings. 
    • We hear you, there is room to grow on this and will look into some changes. 
  • Members are hoping for more unrestricted mechanics.
    • We are and have been 100% looking into something about this, I can attest I am leading part of the model around the who's and hows
  • There are a lot of misleading understandings of how things work that are festering in the member base. 
    • Please please, ask questions before you believe what you hear from someone else.
    • There are a lot of statements here being made that are way off base and getting followers. 

There are a lot of good points that have been made here, and some sadly have lost their cantor of helpful conversation but I am glad people are responding. It shows that there is life here that is pleading for a positive experience. That is something we can all keep close and run with. 

Thanks to all the constructive feedback. 

• Like 5

In my first reply, I failed to discuss second chances in detail. Maybe we can give the community a second chance, and maybe the staff can give some of the persons I listed, and even those whom I missed a second chance. 

My initial reaction to the Mod Team post was somewhat fueled by frustration as the server has been nearly empty or completely empty on days and times when we were used to seeing 30-40+ people.

It would be nice to see people give things a second chance over this weekend. There is so much good, and enjoyment that countless persons have contributed to in this community over the years. 

I am going to be on tomorrow, and I hope others are equally inclined to do such.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Franklin Fish said:

Greetings,
    My extremely in-depth readings of the revolution RP history shows, things were better when Amelia Knightly was leading development.

Good day,
Franklin Fish The Revolution Historian

I know I hardly play here anymore but just want to take the time and say Jasmine is one dedicated dev member that as an "old-time" member I would personally vouch for any day. I know Revo is going through its issues and what not, but putting down the Dev team won't make it any better.

Edited by Sin Rostra
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

On 3/25/2020 at 10:19 PM, Mod Team said:

We immediately will send information about what is going on the moment a ban or warning points is executed. The forums are our one source of truth. We are sad to hear that this is what people feel happens. While at times the process can seem abrupt, we do hear your point and that's not to say we cannot adapt to them in the future. And we ALWAYS encourage
people to come talk to us about a ban, something to do differently and so on. How the message is delivered is what matters most. 

When I was still kind of new to rp, I was banned for talking about breaking a rule. Even though I had read the rules, I had forgotten about this particular one and was insta-banned for 3 days with no communication. A simple teamspeak message would have stopped what I was doing and wouldn't have left a bad taste in my mouth. I am over it now, but at the time I was genuinely upset that no one came to me, or even even replied to my ban appeal. I believe the majority of people here are adults, and things can be overlooked or go wrong in the heat of the moment..so please just use words not authority when you can.

also this

1 hour ago, Mike Michaelson said:

In my first reply, I failed to discuss second chances in detail. Maybe we can give the community a second chance, and maybe the staff can give some of the persons I listed, and even those whom I missed a second chance. 

People are going to make mistakes and bad decisions. People also grow and see the errors in their ways. I believe a conversation would be more effective in fixing the issue while keeping people here, especially when people have been here for awhile. I guarantee that most people would not want to lose a character they have worked on for months/years, and a simple conversation would rectify their wrongdoings(unless they are trying to get banned intentionally). 

If I can be honest, and this is probably not going to be liked by many of the community leaders, but I miss the fast money. The thrill of doing drug runs and other stuff has gone away for me and I dont really see or hear about people doing it much. I know that you guys would like more interactions and story building, but its pretty overwhelming to even begin a process and commit hours for a small payout. No, I dont think everyone criminal should be riding around in supercars, but it has to be somewhat rewarding. To be fair I haven't been around a lot lately and don't even know if there has been significant changes that affects this, so if it has been balanced better disregard this. P.S: Making bank is in some characters personalities, just ask mr @Paul Gale

I would also like to say to the devs, not everyone knows how time consuming and difficult it is to do what you guys are doing. Don't take the "were not seeing progress" statements people make to heart. I do agree on being more transparent with the progress to the community, I don't really attend the meetings and would love to see whats happening behind the scenes on the forums. Since I have been here revo has had seasons in regards to activity. Im sure it is just a slow season. It is sad to see but rp can be pretty taxing at times and people take breaks, at least it is to me. Anywho I do appreciate all you guys have done and for bringing me hours upon hours of entertainment.

• Like 4

@Floppy Pancakes in regards to my ban. I wasn't reached out to at all on TS that is a fact. Only way i found out was cause i was scuffed an relog an was banned.  After watching Mistato stream is when i found out about the ban an told to go to the forums thru a STREAM! If i was reach out too where was it?

I rarely go to the forums bud and my ban lol! combat repair do you know how many people do that? Cops arent suppose to want to spike strip someone for like 5/10 mins yeah kinda give a chase? ohh naw lets go ahead an spike within 30 secs lol! Could of reach out an talk to me like normal admins an mods do but that didnt occur so Eddie i did @floppy i didnt do @Eddie Lee so thanks 

Folks, if you cannot be adult enough to refrain from personal attacks on a thread intended to send a positive message, then please choose another course of action. 

Out of disappointment, this thread will unfortunately be locked. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Paco Garcia said:

@Floppy Pancakes in regards to my ban. I wasn't reached out to at all on TS that is a fact. Only way i found out was cause i was scuffed an relog an was banned.  After watching Mistato stream is when i found out about the ban an told to go to the forums thru a STREAM! If i was reach out too where was it?

If I didn't make it clear earlier, I'll clear it up now. There was a break down in communication on the staff side, primarily me, that you had been notified on TS. So a notification wasn't sent, but the forum notification was sent. I apologize that it happened, it was a simple mistake on our side. 

23 minutes ago, Paco Garcia said:

I rarely go to the forums bud and my ban lol! combat repair do you know how many people do that? Cops arent suppose to want to spike strip someone for like 5/10 mins yeah kinda give a chase? ohh naw lets go ahead an spike within 30 secs lol! Could of reach out an talk to me like normal admins an mods do but that didnt occur so Eddie i did @floppy i didnt do @Eddie Lee so thanks 

I'm happy to talk to you about that situation, just let me know.

I will be re-opening the thread, as I think a lot of good can come out of it. 

As a reminder, you are free to bring up issues, and questions for staff, but if anyone, from here on out, posts ANYTHING we deem as trolling/stirring the pot/etc, you will TBanned, and receive points for causing a disruption, especially since it's in a thread where we are trying to make things better for everyone. Posts like @Mike Michaelson, while controversial to some, are helpful, and welcomed, and we'd love to see more people posting concerns or questions.

Lets act like adults here.

kthx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1