Revolution RP
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kat Sweetser

Games that "Ruined" your childhood

I was talking with @Lexia Hasuki today and the subject came up about games that "ruined" your childhood and by "ruined" I mean left a lasting impression on you for how bad, frustrating or otherwise.

I started to wonder if others had a game or games like that and why. I figured I would also kick it off (and show my age) with one

118056-the-terminator-sega-master-system

This game drove me crazy as a kid, The movie really made me want to beat the game but the game had no mercy! (a true love/hate relationship right here)

The music and graphics are good for the time but the controls are stiffer than a lump of concrete, the enemies if they touch you get "stuck" on you getting 3 or 4 hits in, the objectives can be cryptic and even in 1 stage (2-2) you have a leap of faith and to cap it all off.. 1 life no continues.

So why did I keep playing it? Well, as most kids of the time will remember its the 1990's and it was my new game if I wanted another I would have to save up money and get to a store to buy another one :P Most didn't even have the internet then so we made do with what we have :P 

As old as I am about to sound, people these days got it easy with free to play games and high-speed internet LOL!

but I'm curious, what's everyone elses and why?

135994-shaq-fu-genesis-front-cover.jpg

Side scrolling action, with Shaq the martial artist kicking butt in gym clothes. 

The story....I cannot put into words. It was the age of where anything could be made a game.

Why did I play it? I was kid who played a lot of basketball. Least that was my reasoning to want to play it. 

But, really ANYTHING could be made...

image.jpg?w=1920&h=1080

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

"Postal II" is a great example for a Game to NOT buy.

I had some confrontation with it when i was 11 years old in 2007 and a few years after where i bought it just before it got banned in Germany as a "Collectors Item". The Game is filled with Racism, Extremism and high violence and it's a great example for how shit steam really is and what games they let slide into the steam shop. Back when i was 11 i accidentally bought it while scrolling through the steam market on my cousins account. I downloaded it thinking nothing bad immediately started playing, ofcourse with 11 years i wouldn't understand all the racial slurs, comments and actions taken against specific religions and i kept playing till my cousin noticed what i was actually playing there. From that day on, i never bought any random game without having a look at it before.

Even though i don't have anything against a pinch of black humor, but this Game takes it too far.

Postal2_PC_Features.jpg

my tip: have a look at games before you buy them.

Edited by Berro Garcia

The entire Postal series is entirely satire, it's literally a joke.

You can't really reflect this on "how Steam is shit" because of this game in particular.  If you bought it when you were 11, then you also agreed to the "this game may contain content that is inappropriate screen" and it's kind of your own fault.

Postal is a hilarious game, btw.  People are just too sensitive to satire in this day and age.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My brother had an NES and when he found I had an interest in fantasy lore and stuff, told me to play "Wizards and Warriors" (the game had been a several years old by the time I got to it). Wizards and Warriors III is what made me hate life for a bit. The game series in general were almost impossible for my little mind and the limitations of controllers back in the day. 

I experienced rage at an early age. 

Plus side: Frustrating games no longer make me angry.. because I experienced these lovely nuggets from the game deity of hell. 

The theme haunts me to this day...
To the point where I randomly taught myself how to play the theme on piano by memory and sound. (no sheet music) 

p.s. - got so frustrated at the games then, I never finished them.
I tried booting them up since then...
I just turn off the system after I listen to that theme. 

Edited by Vitami Gattington

A game doesn’t come to mind but I can remember playing certain games.. and being a little girl some simple things did not make ANY sense and it would feel like I was stuck in a never ending loop of struggle and problem solving lol.  Don’t want to relive. 

No explanation needed.

image.thumb.png.96dd6e4fed5bad63aa2edce151be981f.png

On a more serious note, I've been breaking my head for the past seven hours trying to remember any games that frustrated me, sucked the life out of me or in general just made me mad... And I came to realization that I was, or am so stupid that I enjoyed all those frustrating parts of games (hard missions, storylines that made no sense, the endless grind and whatever else that frustrates people) so therefore I couldn't find any games that ruined my childhood ;-;

Posted (edited)

If you don't recognize this series, good for you, because this is definitely NOT something an ignorant child should get themselves into. I can testify that there was an uncanny horror to witnessing some of the themes expressed in this game as a lil' 7-year-old who's parents didn't know right from wrong when it came to games. Needless to say from the rating and the age I remember this at, it's left a lasting impression in the form of two words: Sweet Tooth.

That all being said, it's actually not that bad a game despite what the critics compare it to with the newer games - which, I shall add I have not played myself. Classic demolition derby-style arena gameplay, messing around with cars, trucks and what not; will admit that it had its flaws - poor map design, poor weapon capabilities, poor damage models making it seem like the enemies were invincible.. I'd sum it up as "for every one minute I was captivated by all the explosions and comical car designs, I spent ten minutes frustrated at how challenging it was to progress."

All in all, this takes the cake of a game I regret being interested in as a child and has ruined my childhood - mainly through my perception of clowns ever since.. for some reason. ?

TM.png

Edited by Carper Cainhurst

Between good old Sweet tooth and this guy here, I think clowns was ruined for at least 2 generations :P

stephen-king-it-movie-rexusa_953600a.jpg

Another game I can say I really hated as a kid and even to this day I just don't get it and honestly still drives me nuts is Epyx's "Impossible Mission"

I never understood how to play the game fully growing up, and even now while I understand the principle idea and I have bought some of the later "Remasters" it's still a game that cheeses me off to no end. :classic_laugh:

Posted (edited)

Image result for castle wolfenstein commodore 64

Castle Wolfenstein (aka Wolfenstein's Castle) on the Commodore 64 specifically, scared the shit out of me as a kid. Walking into a room with a Nazi in it and once they see you they scream in a very crackly shriek "SWINE HALT."

Needless to say, the sound in this game always made me jump. This game was the reason I was afraid of PCs and wouldn't ever play alone....or with sound for a few years. LOL

None the less, it was such a fun game to play, and when they released the games on PC in the recent years, I've bought every one.

Edited by Jasmine Kali